Food adulteration and authenticity compendium
Food authenticity and adulteration testing has taken on a new level of importance with consumers and producers, after recent food adulteration scandals…
Food fraud negatively impacts consumer confidence and, more importantly, some adulteration can be harmful to health. Herbs and spices are one of the most commonly adulterated commodity products, with a prime example being oregano adulterated with olive and myrtle leaves.
Infrared (IR) spectroscopy is well recognised for the characterisation of a wide range of materials and has advanced significantly over the last few decades. This fast and cost-effective technique, when combined with a spectral library, can provide conclusive information about samples, and is ideally suited to both qualitative analysis of materials and quantification of components. Historically, IR instruments were generally quite large, required clean environments, and highly trained operators for interpretation of results. Advancements in sampling techniques, data analysis tools, ruggedness, and instrument portability have allowed easy analysis of a broad range of samples within a range of environmental settings.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- PerkinElmer Launches 5-in-1 Antibiotic-Detection Assays for Farmed Shrimp as Part of High-Throughput Workflow Solution
- Cannabis & CBD Edibles: Understanding current testing methods and resources available to support new users
- Taking the guess work out of analysing cannabis edibles
- PerkinElmer’s new paddy rice analysis technology unites image and pressure testing
- Advances in determination of multiple allergens through detection of peptide markers in incurred foods by using triple quad QSight platform