news

Possible glass contamination in Texas meat bowl products

Posted: 12 October 2020 | | No comments yet

The US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert for ready-to-eat (RTE) meat and poultry bowl products, due to concerns that the products may be contaminated with glass.

unsafe meat products

The USDA reported that FSIS is issuing this public health alert out of the utmost caution to ensure that consumers are aware that these products may contain glass and should not be consumed.

A recall was not requested, as it is understood that the affected products are no longer available for consumers to purchase, but the potentially contaminated products were shipped to retail locations in San Antonio and Houston, Texas last week.

The ready-to-eat meat and poultry items related to this public health alert were produced by Taylor Farms in Dallas, Texas on 5 and 6 October, 2020. The products are as follows: 

  • 10-ounce plastic bowl package containing “MEAL SIMPLE SPAGHETTI SQUASH AND ALFREDO WITH CHICKEN” with lot code TFD279AU23 and best by 10/15/2020; or lot code TFD280AU23 and best by 10/16/2020
  • 10-ounce plastic bowl package containing “MEAL SIMPLE SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH CHICKEN & PESTO” with lot code TFD279AU23 and best by 10/13/20; or lot code TDF280AU23 and best by 10/14/2020
  • 10-ounce plastic bowl package containing “MEAL SIMPLE SPAGHETTI SQUASH AND PEPPERONI” with lot code TDF279AU23 and best by 10/15/2020; or lot code TDF280AU23 and best by 10/16/2020
  • 11-ounce plastic bowl package containing “MEAL SIMPLE SPAGHETTI SQUASH AND MEATBALLS” with lot code TFD279AU23 and best by 10/13/2020; or lot code TFD280AU23 and best by 10/14/2020.

The products feature the establishment number “P-34733” or “EST. 34733” within the USDA mark of inspection. The problem was discovered when a Taylor Farms employee discovered pieces of glass in the meat during the course of production.

FSIS is concerned that some product may be in consumers’ refrigerators and is therefore eager to communicate this alert to consumers in the area. The organisation advises that anyone concerned about an illness should contact a health care provider.

Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them, but instead to throw them away, or return them to the place of purchase.

Send this to a friend