Application Note: Automated DNA Extraction for the Thermo Scientific NGS Food Authenticity Workflow
Food fraud is an increasing and international problem influencing economy, society, health and environment. Food fraud can be defined as an intentional replacement, addition, tampering or misrepresentation of food, ingredients or packaging.
With the Thermo Scientific™ NGS Food Authenticity Workflow species from food and feed samples can be detected with SGS™ All Species ID Food DNA Analyser Kits for meat, fish and plant. The workflow includes sample homogenization, DNA extraction
and quantification, library and template preparations, sequencing and data analysis.
Manual DNA extraction can be laborious and time-consuming especially if multiple samples are handled. With an automated extraction process hands-on time can be minimised without compromising efficiency. The Thermo Scientific™ KingFisher™ Flex Purification System automates DNA extraction in the NGS Food Authenticity Workflow utilising magnetic particle processing.
In this application note we describe how to simultaneously extract DNA from multiple sample types using the KingFisher Flex System; and compare the performance of the KingFisher Flex System to the manual nucleic acid extraction method using the GMO™ extraction kit (Order code 4466336).
Related content from this organisation
- Webinar: Extrusion of Plant-based Meat
- Application Note: Automated DNA Extraction for the Thermo Scientific NGS Food Authenticity Workflow
- Application Note: Analysis of underivatized amino acids in wines by solid phase extraction and HILIC-MS
- Application Note: Using Type 1 Water (18.2 MΩ-cm) for High Performance Liquid Chromatography in the Food and Beverage Industry
- Application Note Supplement – July 2021