Application note: Fast and simple SFC-MS/MS assay for routine analysis of fat-soluble vitamins
Daily vitamin intake is essential for a balanced and healthy lifestyle. While the body needs these nutrients for a large number of biochemical processes, it is not able to synthesize them on its own.
Various adverse effects can result from vitamin deficiencies, such as scurvy, osteoporosis and a weakened immune system, just to name a few.
Looking at fat-soluble vitamins in particular, Vitamin A is associated with eyesight and reproductive health and vitamin D is essential for development of teeth and bones, while vitamin E is among the body’s main antioxidants, and deficiency can lead to muscle weakness. Healthy levels of vitamin K prevent hemorrhaging and osteoporosis. On the other hand hypervitaminosis, caused by an overdose of food supplements over an extended period of time can cause painful and in worst cases irreversible neurological problems.
Quality control of health-foods and supplements to verify their vitamin content is therefore important and should enable qualification and quantification of each single analyte of interest.
Related content from this organisation
- Application: Analysis of Monosaccharides and Disaccharides in Soft Drinks
- Application note: Analysis of residual pesticides in soybeans
- Application Note Supplement – December 2020
- Poster: Analysis of Glyphosate, Glufosinate, and AMPA in Food Using In-vial Addition of Pairing Agent
- CBD, Cannabis & Hemp Supplement – October 2020