Product review: Simple and direct sodium determination
METTLER TOLEDO presents a new analytical method dedicated to the simplified, yet highly accurate determination of sodium…
Sodium determination is becoming ever more important for the food industry.
Conventional sodium testing methods demand complicated sample preparation, complex instrumental setup, as well as knowledge and experience in analytical techniques. METTLER TOLEDO presents a new analytical method dedicated to the simplified, yet highly accurate determination of sodium.
Salt is an essential ingredient in processed foods and its content needs to be determined accurately. The ever increasing health awareness and demand for accurate food product labelling drives the requirement not only for the determination of sodium chloride, but also of sodium cations, which must be declared separately. This is particularly important since the excessive intake of salt is directly linked to adverse health effects.
Multiple Standard Addition technique is a new simple and effective application for the specific and accurate determination of the sodium ion content.
The determination of sodium cations is performed with ion-selective sensors. As the membrane potential cannot be observed directly, the potential of the ion-selective electrode (ISE) half-cell is measured against a reference half-cell.
The rest of this product review is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Application Notes – June 2019
- Application Note: Five Steps to Maximize Metal Detector Performance
- Mettler-Toledo presents the latest meat inspection solutions at IFFA 2019
- Quality in Food Manufacturing Tips for Rapid Moisture Analysis
- Food Safety Masterclass – 6 Steps to Preventing Physical Contamination