webinar

Can we perform gelatin speciation and adulteration using bioinformatics, proteomics and high resolution mass spectrometry?

Supported by:

27 April 2017

gelatin thermo fisher webinar

About this webinar

Gelatine is composed of highly processed proteins, which is widely used as a gelling and thickening agent in a variety of food products, including meat, confectionery products and water-based desserts. It is also widely used in the pharmaceutical industry. Gelatine is obtained by hydrolysis of collagen, which is extracted from materials such as bone, hide and skin from animal slaughterhouses. Nearly 80% of gelatine are produced from pig by-products. However, vegetarian, Halal and Kosher gelatine, are normally prepared from seaweed, fish or bovine skin or bones.

The webinar will present a strategy to detect specific peptide biomarkers in the digested gelatin and food samples using HPLC–QqOrbitrap. We will also demonstrate that this method can be an effective strategy to detect gelatine adulteration.

Keynote speakers

Dr francis beaudry thermo fisher webinar gelatinDr. Francis Beaudry
University of Montreal

Dr Francis Beaudry is an Associate Professor at the veterinary biomedicine department of the Faculty of veterinary medicine of the Université de Montréal. He is an adjunct researcher at the Université de Montréal Hospital Research Centre (CRCHUM). Additionally, he has held leadership positions in bioanalysis within pharmaceutical companies prior his tenure at Université de Montréal. Combined, Dr Beaudry has 24 years of experience in mass spectrometry and bioanalysis. Dr Beaudry research is funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).

Dr Beaudry received his bachelor’s degree (chemistry) from Sherbrooke University (Sherbrooke, Canada) and his doctorate (medicinal and analytical chemistry) from the Anglia Ruskin University (Cambridge, UK). He has completed 2-year research assignment in proteomics/peptidomics at Univeristé de Montréal prior his appointment as associate professor in June 2009. Since June 2009, he has supervised or co-supervised 19 MSc and PhD students and he is the author or co-author of 93 peer reviewed manuscripts and 90 research abstracts. He has received in February 2017 The Faculty of veterinary medicine of the Université de Montréal / Zoetis award for excellence in research.

Supported by:

Thermo Fisher LogoIn recent years adulteration has become an increasing problem globally in the food industry and for consumers. Determining if the product has been adulterated is important for many reasons. Is the product pure; does it contain any contaminants; has it been adulterated in any way for economic reasons?

Thermo Fisher Scientific has advanced instrumentation that can help in the area of food adulteration to determine the known and unknown contaminants of the food and beverage product. Their state of the art products help labs check for the adulteration of edible oils to fruit juices and many other products. Their instruments help government agencies and contract laboratories determine if a particular product has been adulterated.

More in this webinar series…

Use of stable isotope analysis in commercial food authenticity testing
Date: 29 March 2017 | Time: 15.00 BST
Speaker: Dr. David Psomiadis, Laboratory Manager, Imprint Analytics GmbH

Charged aerosol detection for LC analysis of triglycerides: A novel tool for extra-virgin olive oil characterisation
Date: 9 May 2017 | Time: 15.00 BST
Speaker: Professor Lanfranco Conte, Dept. of Agri-Food, Environmental and Animal Sciences, University of Udine

When honey is not all honey and other tales of food adulteration: Ion chromatography as a tool for detecting food fraud
Date: 7 June 2017 | Time: 15.00 BST
Speaker: Dr. Jeff Rohrer, Thermo Fisher Scientific

Chemical profiling and differential analysis of whiskies using Q Exactive™ GC Orbitrap™ GC-MS/MS
Date: 11 July 2017 | Time: 15.00 BST
Speaker: Dominic Roberts, Thermo Fisher Scientific

The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access

Front PageThank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.

Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:

• bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
  • case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
  • breaking news and features
  • our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
  • ...And it's all free!

Click here to Subscribe today Login here

Related organisations