Food innovation competition Ecotrophelia UK goes from strength to strength
3 May 2016 • Author(s): Victoria White, Digital Content Producer
Ecotrophelia, the UK’s student food innovation competition, has received the greatest number of entries ever this year.
From idea generation through to the final packaged product, the teams in the competition get a hands-on experience of what it takes to bring an eco-friendly food or drink to market.
Bertrand Emond, Head of Membership and Training at Campden BRI said, “It’s very encouraging to see interest in Ecotrophelia UK growing year-on-year. A record nineteen teams from across the UK have entered the competition this year and the standard has been exceptionally high. We are delighted to have so many big names supporting Ecotrophelia to help attract the brightest and the best young talent to the food and drink industry.”
After much deliberation, a panel of new product development experts has selected the five finalist teams:
- El Nacho: Slow cooked pulled turkey in a hot enchilada sauce with chunky nachos for dipping – The College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise
- Apeel: A premium snack bar with whole nuts, seeds, fruit and vegetable peels drizzled with dark chocolate – London Metropolitan University
- Fran Borjan: Vegan, low fat iced dessert made with algal protein – Nottingham Trent University
- Hemptations: Hemp milkshakes in a range of flavours – Nottingham Trent University
- Spent N’ Gain: Extruded flavoured snack product made from brewer’s spent grain – The University of Nottingham
The shortlisted teams will pitch their ideas to a panel of food experts from Marks & Spencer, Coca-Cola, Mondelez, PepsiCo, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Warburtons for the chance to win a share of £3,500. The winners will be announced at Campden BRI Day on 8th June and will go on to represent the UK at Ecotrophelia Europe at SIAL in Paris in October.
This year’s entries included teams from The College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise, Cardiff Metropolitan University, Coventry University, Harper Adams University, The University of Leeds, London Metropolitan University, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham Trent University and The University of Reading.
ABF Ingredients ANDEROL EUROPE BV Avantes Berndorf Band GmbH BIOTECON Diagnostics GmbH Cargo Oil AB Elea GmbH Engilico FUCHS LUBRITECH GmbH GLOBALG.A.P. Foodplus GmbH InS Services (UK) Ltd IONICON Analytik GmbH JAX INC. JBT Corporation LUBRIPLATE Lubricants Company NSF International Ocean Optics PCE Instruments UK Ltd R-Biopharm Rhone Ltd Randox Food Diagnostics Stancold SteriBeam The Tintometer® Group TOMRA Sorting Food Uhde High Pressure Technologies GmbH Verner Wheelock Vikan UK Ltd