The antibiotic battle
Antimicrobial substances can enter the food chain through soil creating a potential risk to human health. Xiaowei Liu explains how antibiotics can be detected quickly and reliably in vegetables using QuEChERS and liquid chromatography mass spectrometry.
- Schlüsener MP, Bester K. Persistence of antibiotics such as macrolides, tiamulin and salinomycin in soil. Environ Pollut. 2006; 143: 565–71.
- Cimitile M. Worried about Antibiotics in Your Beef? Vegetables May Be No Better. Scientific American. January 2006. Available at: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vegetables-contain-antibiotics/ (accessed August 2019).
- He Z, Wang Y, Xu Y, Liu X. Determination of Antibiotics in Vegetables Using QuEChERS-Based Method and Liquid Chromatography-Quadrupole Linear Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry. Food Analytical Methods 2018; 11: 2857–64.
- Oxytetracycline Tablets B.P. 250 mg. Summary of Product Characteristics. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/4175/smpc (accessed August 2019).
- Oxytetracycline 250mg Coated Tablets. Patient Information leaflet. Available at: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.4175.pdf (accessed August 2019).
- Fryar CD, Kruszon-Moran D, Gu Q, Ogden CL. Mean Body Weight, Height, Waist Circumference, and Body Mass Index Among Adults: United States, 1999-2000 Through 2015-2016. Natl Health Stat Report.2018; (122) :1–16.
- Zhang K, Wong JW, Yang P, Hayward DG, Sakuma T, Zou Y, Schreiber A, Borton C, Nguyen TV, Kaushik B. Protocol for an electrospray ionization tandem mass spectral product ion library: development and application for identification of 240 pesticides in foods. Anal Chem. 2012; 84 (13): 5677–84.