news

FSA appoints its Chief Scientific Adviser

Posted: 5 March 2014 | The Food Standards Agency | No comments yet

The FSA has appointed Professor Guy Poppy as its Chief Scientific Adviser…

Food Standards Agency (FSA) Logo

The FSA has appointed Professor Guy Poppy as its Chief Scientific Adviser. Professor Poppy, who takes up his role in August, is Professor of Ecology at the University of Southampton where he is also the Director of their Interdisciplinary Research.

The Chief Scientific Adviser (CSA) will play a critical role in the FSA, helping us understand how scientific developments shape our work, and the strategic implications of those possible changes. As well as providing expert scientific advice and challenge to the Agency the CSA will work with the Scientific Advisory Committees (SACs) and ensure that they continue to provide the best independent scientific advice to the FSA.

Professor Poppy has significant research experience in food systems and food security and has advised governments around the world on these issues. He has also published over 100 peer-reviewed papers including a number of highly cited articles on risk assessment, risk analysis and risk communication. He is currently a member of the REF2014 panel assessing the quality of agriculture, food and veterinary science in the UK.

Speaking about his appointment, Professor Poppy said: ‘I can’t think of anything more important than ensuring food safety and standards. Food is essential for human wellbeing and the increasingly complex food system brings benefits and risks to our daily lives. High quality and independent science is required to allow government and consumers to make informed decisions, especially at a time where food security and food costs are becoming increasingly debated. I look forward to serving as the Chief Scientific Adviser to the FSA and will help contribute to ensuring that there is safer food for the nation.

Catherine Brown, Chief Executive of the Food Standards Agency said: ‘I am delighted that Guy has taken up this role. It’s a very important appointment for the FSA and underlines our commitment to the very best science to underpin our work. Guy will bring flair and a wealth of relevant experience to the job and I and my fellow directors and the FSA board look forward to working with him.’

Related organisations

Related people

,