Analysis of beverage samples using thin film solid phase microextraction (TF-SPME) and thermal desorption GC/MS
Brand name alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are unique; each aroma and flavor profile is composed from a wide range of volatile and semi-volatile flavor compounds…
To protect the brand, consistent product quality must be ensured. Reliable routine monitoring of such a complex matrix can pose an analytical challenge, even more so when off-flavors must be determined at ultra-low concentrations.
Thin Film Solid Phase Micro-Extraction (TF-SPME) is an extension of regular SPME. The increased surface area and phase volume result in improved analyte recovery and significantly improved sensitivity and accuracy. TF-SPME is simple, requires little or no solvent, and encompasses a wide range of analyte concentrations, polarities, and functional groups.
TF-SPME can be performed in headspace or immersion mode followed by automated thermal desorption GC/MS. The work presented here demonstrates the application of TF-SPME to the determination of aroma and flavor components in various beverages.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- App Note: Sniff & Trap fractionation and ODP Performance Checkout
- Application Note: Automated Extraction of Vitamins in Infant Formula
- Application Note: Beverage flavour analysis by Thin Film(TF)-SPME-TD-GC/MS
- Application note: Off-odors in packaging by Thin Film(TF)-SPME-TD-GC-MS/O
- Application note: 3-MCPD/Glycidol: The A-Method automated, AOCS Cd 29a-13