Comprehensive smoothie flavor analysis using SBSE-GC/MS
By combining Stir Bar Sorptive Extraction (SBSE) and Solvent-Assisted (SA)-SBSE with LVI-GC/MS, a full range of Beverage flavors can be determined…
Standard (SBSE) and Solvent-Assisted (SA-SBSE) Stir Bar Sorptive Extraction were both applied for profiling of flavor compounds in a matrix-heavy beverage (Smoothie). Unlike standard SBSE, SA-SBSE uses a solvent-swollen polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) stir bar for extraction and enhanced recovery of polar compounds. After extraction, compounds were recovered from both stir bars by liquid desorption followed by Large Volume Injection (LVI)-GC-MS analysis. Each sample was analysed in two consecutive runs.
The extra solvent dimension in SA-SBSE allows detection of more polar compounds, but the increased response of these compounds can sometimes obscure compounds which are more readily detected by standard SBSE. A common set of compounds was detected by both SBSE and SA-SBSE, while each technique yielded a distinct and unique set of compounds. This additional interpretation complexity was simplified by relying on both mass spectrometric (MS) and retention index (RI) information for compound detection.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Sample preparation and analysis solutions for water and edible oil
- Determining phenols in whisky by SBSE-GC/MS & LVI-GC/MS
- Analysis of beverage samples using thin film solid phase microextraction (TF-SPME) and thermal desorption GC/MS
- Comprehensive smoothie flavor analysis using SBSE-GC/MS
- Automated SPE-LC-MS/MS method for Acrylamide in Coffee