Analysis of aroma compounds in edible oils by direct Thermal Desorption GC/MS using slitted microvials
The determination of aroma compounds in edible oils (olive oil, sunflower oil, fish oil etc.) is important for manufacturers and vendors of these products. Especially off-flavors / off-flavours derived from unsaturated fatty acid degradation such as, for example, hexanal, 2-(E)-nonenal and 2,4-(E,E)-decadienal are of interest. These compounds can compromise the taste and therefore the quality of a product even in the ng/g concentration range…
This application note describes the direct thermal desorption of desirable and undesirable aroma compounds from edible oils.
The oil sample is placed in a micro-vial in which it is analysed by direct thermal desorption using a GERSTEL Thermal Desorption Unit (TDU). Volatile compounds are transferred to the GC/MS system while leaving the non-volatile oil matrix behind in the micro-vial, preventing it from reaching and contaminating the GC inlet and the GC column. Microvials with a slit at 1 cm from the bottom were found to be the best suited providing efficient and repeatable analyte transfer and sensitive determination of a wide range of flavor-/flavour- active compounds.
The rest of this content is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- bi-monthly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- App Note: Sniff & Trap fractionation and ODP Performance Checkout
- Application Note: Automated Extraction of Vitamins in Infant Formula
- Application Note: Beverage flavour analysis by Thin Film(TF)-SPME-TD-GC/MS
- Application note: Off-odors in packaging by Thin Film(TF)-SPME-TD-GC-MS/O
- Application note: 3-MCPD/Glycidol: The A-Method automated, AOCS Cd 29a-13