Whitepaper: Extending the shelf life of low-acid liquid dairy products
Extended shelf life (ESL) for dairy products offers advantages and benefits in terms of product safety and quality.
These include improved hygiene and reduced risk of recontamination with microorganisms during production, packaging and distribution.
ESL dairy products are also meant to meet challenges arising from:
- Consumers’ increasing quality awareness and quality demands
- Expanding distribution areas. Consolidation of the dairy industry and the exploitation of economies of scale have become key to growth and even survival for many dairies. ESL technology is the most important tool for ensuring that milk and other liquid foods can travel greater distances while remaining fresh and having the required shelf life after arrival at their destinations.
- Marketing of branded and value-added products: Higher margin and lower volume products need ESL technology for shelf life and for high and consistent product quality.
Related content from this organisation
- Whitepaper: Powder dissolution through new eyes
- Whitepaper: Dual approach creates new understanding of spray-drying processes
- Whitepaper: Better understanding of drying kinetics moves modelling of spray drying processes forward
- Whitepaper: Cleaning parameter changes increase uptime in UHT plants
- Whitepaper: Vitamin C retention in orange juice production