news

University of Delaware signs exclusive agreement with Pepsi Beverages Company

Posted: 15 December 2011 | PepsiCo | No comments yet

Exclusive beverage pouring rights on campus…

PEPSICO LOGO

The University of Delaware today announced it has signed an agreement with Pepsi Beverages Company (PBC) for exclusive beverage pouring rights on campus. This new, multi-year partnership features PepsiCo’s comprehensive beverage lineup of carbonated soft drinks including Pepsi and Mountain Dew, Lipton teas, Aquafina, SoBe and Propel waters and Gatorade sports drinks, and Muscle Milk, among others. Specific terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Our objective in obtaining this agreement is to maximize the level of service and support for campus vending, retail and concession operations while delivering benefits for UD students,” said David Singleton, UD vice president for facilities and auxiliary services. “Beyond offering a broad array of beverage choices for our students, faculty, staff and visitors, PepsiCo is also committed to supporting UD’s environmental sustainability efforts and fostering student employment and outreach through Pepsi’s Campus Development Program.”

“We came to this agreement after weighing our options very carefully,” said UD Director of Hospitality Services Margot Carroll, who participated in the competitive bidding process and helped negotiate the contract. “We believe Pepsi will be a good partner for many years to come. This partnership will help UD generate revenue across campus foodservice operations, support UD Athletics, and enable a variety of student enrichment programs.”

As part of the partnership, PepsiCo will be the official beverage provider for UD campus foodservice and PepsiCo brands will be featured in more than 130 on-campus vending machines, all of which meet ENERGY STAR specifications for energy efficiency. Most PepsiCo vending machines will have card readers for processing debit, credit and (UD1 Flex) i-cards. The partnership also includes on- campus PepsiCo Dream Machine recycling kiosks, which feature a personal reward system that allows students to collect and redeem points for each bottle or can they recycle in the kiosk. Campus retail outlets and athletic venues, including Delaware Stadium, the Bob Carpenter Center and the UD Bookstore will also sell PepsiCo products, and most foodservice outlets will feature compostable cups.

“We’re excited to begin this partnership with the University of Delaware,” said Vaughn Dickinson, Pepsi Beverages Company area VPGM and an alumnus of UD. “UD has a reputation for academic excellence, leading-edge research, athletic achievement and cultural and service engagement. We’re honored to have the opportunity to bring our wide variety of products to the great UD campuses and support the Blue Hen community. UD’s mission aligns well with PepsiCo’s commitment to deliver what we call Performance with Purpose – a commitment to deliver sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for people and the planet. This relationship, serviced by the local PBC team in Wilmington will benefit students, faculty, staff and the communities served by the University.”

Related organisations

,