news

D.D. Williamson announces a beverage coloring competion for food science students

Posted: 15 September 2010 | D.D. Williamson | No comments yet

D.D. Williamson has created a student competition to encourage learning about naturally derived coloring used in beverage applications…

D.D. Williamson has created a student competition to encourage learning about naturally derived coloring used in beverage applications...

D.D. Williamson has created a student competition to encourage learning about naturally derived coloring used in beverage applications and to link students with the food ingredient industry. The winning student will receive an expense-paid trip to the 2011 IFT Annual Meeting and Food Expo in New Orleans (June 11-15, 2011).

“We’re spreading the excitement of working with color to create more alluring beverages,” said Margaret Lawson, Vice President, Science and Innovation. “Students will use their technical skills to develop a beverage and learn how nature offers food coloring sources that can function as alternatives to synthetic sources,” added Lawson, who served as IFT President 2005-2006.

The competition is open to all active members of the IFT Student Association (IFTSA). Abstract submissions are due by November 15th, and the winner will be notified by April 15th. Visit http://www.naturalcolors.com/studentcompetition for more information.