news

NIZO expert appointed associate professor Colloid Chemistry at Utrecht University

Posted: 1 July 2010 | NIZO | No comments yet

Translation of the physics of interfaces in food systems to mouth feel, shelf life and flow properties in food products is essential for…

Translation of the physics of interfaces in food systems to mouth feel, shelf life and flow properties in food products is essential for...

Translation of the physics of interfaces in food systems to mouth feel, shelf life and flow properties in food products is essential for developing better and healthier foods. The appointment of NIZO expert Hans Tromp as associate professor Colloid Chemistry at the University of Utrecht strengthens the transfer from fundamental knowledge to solutions for the food industry. Tromp will focus on water-water interfaces, particularly relevant for the development of low calorie foods.

As of the 1st of July 2010 Dr. R. Hans Tromp will be Associate Professor in the Physical and Colloid Chemistry group of the Department of Chemistry at the University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. He will combine this position with his work as a Project Leader and Senior Scientist in the Flavour&Texture group of NIZO food research.

Over the past years, NIZO has built up a vast expertise in the area of texture formation, flavor-texture interactions, food processing and stability. However, to further develop low fat, low sugar and low salt products that enjoy the same consumer preference as the traditional products new technologies need to be developed.

“NIZO is therefore intensively involved in academic research and with networks of academic scientists.” Says Ad Juriaanse, CEO of NIZO food research. “The associate professorship of Hans Tromp strengthens NIZO’s position as a provider of applicable knowledge and fresh ideas based on new scientific knowledge.”

The University’s position in this collaboration is summarized by Professor Willem Kegel, one of the program leaders of the Physical and Colloid Chemistry group: “Utrecht University highly appreciates intensive contacts with laboratories and institutes that are on the applied side of research. It broadens our fundamental research-scope, and can be a source of inspiration for new projects. On top of that, it provides a good example for our students that science is not limited to university laboratories”.

Dr. Tromp’s scientific research will among other subjects be aimed at imitating oil-water interfaces by water-water interfaces. Can we make an emulsion of two aqueous phases with the same features as an oil-in-water emulsion? This is the field of physics of interfaces in food systems, in particular interfaces between proteins and polysaccharides. Functionalizing such interfaces will contribute to fat reduction in food. More generally, Tromp will initiate research on water structuring, water transport and stability which contributes to improved mouth feel, shelf life, and flow properties of food systems.

In collaboration with NIZO’s Business Development, new scientific findings will become available for the clients of NIZO.

Related organisations